Opened in 1870 as a dance hall, the "Blauer Stern" hosted the first cinema films as part of vaudeville events. In the 1930s, the dance hall was converted into a cinema with a stage: the "Bismarck-Lichtspiele" opened. After the war, the cinema was reopened in 1946 as the "Blauer Stern" movie theater.
As early as 1987, the "Blauer Stern" had to be closed due to dilapidation. In the period after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the district of Pankow also lost its last two cinemas, first the "Lunik" (1991) and then the "Tivoli" (1994). It was not until December 1996 that the "Stern", as the people of Pankow call their cinema, was able to reopen thanks to the great commitment of the operators, thus ending the cinema-less period for Pankow.
In terms of construction and technology, the best possible use was made of the Art Nouveau building: a second cinema hall was built into the former "Feinschmecker" restaurant; rising rows of seats with comfortable cinema chairs and comfortable leg spacing, a starry sky in Hall 1, modern cinema technology and the café ensure an all-around pleasant visit to the cinema. In spring 2010, digital projection finally made its way into the "Blauer Stern". Since April 2011, film reels are finally a thing of the past. Both movie theaters are digitized and additionally equipped with Dolby 3D.
In May 2018, long-time operator Uwe Feld retired from the cinema business and entrusted his cinema to the Yorck Kingruppe. During the first Corona lockdown, the foyer and aisles were extensively renovated according to the specifications of BATEK architects.