With its classicist facade and imposing staircase, the Filmtheater rises in front of the Volkspark Friedrichshain. As one of Berlin's largest art-house cinemas - affectionately dubbed "FaF" by guests and staff alike - it has enjoyed great popularity for decades. And in the summer, the beer garden next to the movie theater is particularly tempting for stimulating conversations late into the evening.Since its opening in 1925 under Olympia, the building has been continuously operated as a cinema. In 1994, it was threatened with demolition. Still, a group led by director Michael Verhoeven intervened and, together with the Yorck Group, turned the cinema into an arthouse venue with excellent technical equipment, five originally designed auditoriums ranging from gold rush to techno, and a diverse program across genres.
1925The Olympia Filmtheater opens with 1,200 seats and an orchestra pit. Built according to designs by architect Otto Werner, the building is now a listed building.
1930sUFA takes over the movie theater. From now on it is called "Ufa-Theater Friedrichshain". After the Nazis seized power, mainly Nazi propaganda films are shown here.
1945The building is damaged by the war, but film screenings can still take place on a small scale. Only 250 seats remain after renovation work.
1995The Yorck Group takes over the building. As part of the remodeling work, set designer Vera Dobroschke designs five separate movie theaters.
2010The FaF is also equipped with digital technology. It even has 3D: the FaF is the first arthouse cinema to show Alice in Wonderland and Pina, among others.
2020The lights stay off in the Lockdown, but the façade is renovated in accordance with the preservation order.